- John Polk said “I knew Charles when he was EVP of The Atlanta Chamber and I worked for ...” on Memories of Oklahoma City circa 1993
- John Polk said “Back in the mid-80's and early 90's, Cleveland was actually recognized as one of the ...” on Economic development in NEO: A view from the street-level
- John Polk said “Is there any way to substantiate Dimora's claim re: GCP and the PD, other than ...” on Cleveland’s new development dynamic?
- George Nemeth said “Like all glimmers of newness in CLE+ I expect this one to be crushed too” on Cleveland’s new development dynamic?
- Cleveland’s new development dynamic? | Brewed Fresh Daily said “[...] by Ohio voters, as gambling interests convert the Ohio constitution into a zoning ordinance. ...” on Ohio’s casino deal gets a bit more messy
- About BDP Comments
The Plain Dealer explores an important issue: teacher skills.
A growing body of research argues that education schools — despite some exemplary exceptions — produce inadequately prepared teachers.
The issue is crucial because educators agree that having a quality teacher in the classroom is the single most important factor in a child’s education.
In fact, research shows that students who have three ineffective teachers in a row will score as much as 50 percentage points lower on standardized tests than students who have three effective teachers in a row, said Stanford University professor Linda Darling-Hammond.
Also: Read the insightful commentary to the article.
Alternative Paths to Teacher Certification (This article explores different appraoches to teacher certification.)
Teaching at Risk: A Call to Action (2004) (This report proposes a strategy to upgrade, fundamentally, the U.S. teaching profession. It includes recommendations for improving methods of recruitment, training, assessment, support and compensation.)
Last 5 posts by Ed Morrison
- Signing off - February 3rd, 2012
- "The current global development model is unsustainable" - February 1st, 2012
- Market opportunities for developing Chicago's green economy - January 29th, 2012
- Plain Dealer flubs its explanation for firing Tony Grossi - January 27th, 2012
- Linking and leveraging university assets to strengthen regional economies - January 27th, 2012